2022 All State Solo Festival Instructions
The All-State Solo Festival is held each year on the day before the All-State Band Festival begins and is at the same site. Any student who will be participating in the All-State Band Festival is eligible to perform one (1) solo in the All-State Solo Festival. The All-State Solo Festival Entry Form as found on the ABA website MUST BE COMPLETE IN EVERY ASPECT. The registration form and the $30.00 registration fee. Changes cannot be made to the program once the registration deadline has passed.
1. The All State Solo Festival preliminary competition will be held virtually using the Heartout app.
2. Registration deadline ($30) for the All State Solo Festival is March 1. The video submission window will open March 13, 2022 at 8am and will close March 21, 2022 at midnight. Late submissions will not be assessed.
3. Any student who was selected for the All State Band is eligible to perform one (1) solo in the All State Solo Festival.
4. Students / Directors will have to mail a score to Doug Farris by March 1, 2022. His address is: 3227 Sweetbriar Rd SW Decatur, AL 35603
5. Students will need to treat their prelims recording like an actual audition. Students will need to dress in their desired formal attire. The venue for their recording should also be considered. (church, recital hall, band room, auditorium, etc.)
6. Students should all record their auditions using the landscape mode on their smartphone. The accompanist must be visible in your recording.
7. Solos must be chosen from the ABA approved list of solos. All solos must be accompanied unless the solo was written to be played unaccompanied. Recorded accompaniment is allowed.
8. The first ten (10) minutes of a student’s audition will be considered by the judging panel. However, if the student is chosen as a finalist, their entire recording will be considered in overall placement.
9. Solos will be awarded the rating of “Superior”, “Excellent”, or “Good.” All soloists who receive a “Superior” rating will be awarded a medal. The top 9 soloists will be awarded Medallions at the All State Festival.
Solo Festival Finalists Information
1. The Solo Festival Finals Concert is April 7, 2022 at 7pm in the Grand Ballroom of the Outlaw Convention Center in Mobile, Alabama. Call Time for Finalists is 6:30pm. You will report to 201 A-D
2. Performance order will be determined at a Mandatory Zoom Meeting for directors of participants on Sunday, April 4, 2022 at 2pm.
3. The results of the All State Solo Festival will be announced at the Concert on Friday, April 9, 2022 at 8pm. All finalists must be in attendance at this concert. Solo Festival finalists are encouraged to dress nice for this recognition.
4. The official picture for the Alabreve and website will be taken at the end of the White Band Concert on Saturday. Red Band finalists will need to be available at 2:20pm in the South Concert Hall for this very important picture.
5. Each finalist will be given a 15 minute warm up opportunity in the concert venue. This is for your benefit; not required.
6. Each soloist will receive a commemorative recording of their performance at no charge. Please refrain from flash photography and cell phone recording during the performances.
7. Directors can see students’ scores in the director portal of Heartout.